Sunday, February 23, 2014

Judging a Book by Its Cover

After a toastmasters meeting one night, I passed by Pacific Place on my way to the bus stop.  There came a 北姑 with her hands full of shopping bags.  She accosted me and started spewing 煲冬瓜....

豈有此理喺我地頭煲冬瓜,嫌命長乎, 誅你九族吖嗱 

My lightbulb lit up, so I said,"Sorry, can you speak English?"

死北姑, 哩次重大唔倒你...

點知,she flashes me a sweet smile, and said,"Of course, would you direct me to the nearby underground train station, please?'....IN PERFECT OXFORD ENGLISH. 

She even thanked me profusely after I gave her directions, told me I was very kind....

死死氣要講番聲 you're welcome....

There's nothing more humiliating for a die-hard Hong Konger like me to have to utter the word "welcome" to a 北姑.

Agreed?
AmazingCounters.com

8 comments:

  1. 好欣賞TEACHER的坦白, 我完全明白!!!!
    那北姑有否得得戚戚?好心喺香港佢一開口就用廣東話OR英文啦。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You may be the only one of my blogpals to 完全明白, dear girl.
      I don't know about 得得戚戚, but she was a class act the minute she started speaking English.

      Delete
  2. 我雖然都好討厭蝗蟲,但我遇到問路的都好有禮貌,所以我都會照答,而且用廣東話答,我發覺佢地聽廣東話冇問題。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, maybe i'll try that next time if I'm in a better mood :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't and can't speak Mandarin at all even though I can understand most of it when people speak to me in Mandarin. Whenever people speak to me in Mandarin, I automatically would respond in Enlgish. As a matter of fact, for some reasons, I strongly dislike the langauge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can understand most, you're doing better than I am. More and more HKers are disliking that language too...

      Delete
  4. 大陸人講英文通常都帶有囗音,因為有d字佢地發唔到音,例如G字!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gorilla, that's generally true, but this one is an exception, so she either went to British-based international school as a teenager, or she had special training in English as an adult.

      Delete